I live on the border of Shropshire and I’m an avid carper. I have visited a number of the lakes with accommodations listed below as I like to get away for a weekend, usually with the family. Below I’ll list the lakes to go fishing in Shropshire.
Find The Accommodation You Are Looking For - Page Menu
Shropshire Carp Fishing Lodges - With Private Swims
A lodge is my preferred way to stay when going on a fishing holiday. They offer a level of comfort and often have a private peg outside the lodge making it very easy to get the rods out. Whilst there are a lot of lakes in Shropshire with specimen carp there are not that many with lodges as well. Here is the pick of the bunch.
The Best Fishery In Shropshire!
Blackthorn Fish - Shropshire - Specimen Carp Fishing With Private Peg
- Handmade 1 bedroom lodges around a 3-acre lake
- There is also an area to the side if you prefer to put your bivvy up rather than stay in the lodge
- Children must be over 13 to fo, this is a serious fishery and not a family holiday place.
- A great place for a couples break
- All carp were hand selected from VS fisheries with numerous in the 30s and 40s now.
- This is a premium fishing lake and, in my opinion, the best lake in Shropshire.
- The fishing can be hard going, this is a specimen fishery for serious carpers looking to catch larger carp.
- All slings, nets and cradles are provided by the fishery.
Wigmore Lakes, Near Shrewsbury, Shropshire - Great for family fishing
Ive have been to Wigmore lakes a couple of times. They have around 10 lodges. Although none of them have private legs a couple of them are almost lake-side – I have fished from right next to the lodge we stayed in, it’s close enough for someone to make you a brew and pass it to you!
- A standard PVA lodge, similar in size to a small static caravan but on a solid base.
- The 2 bed lodges are quite small, we stayed for a weekend but wouldn’t t really want to stay for a week.
- Some lodges have hot tubs in the raised decking at the front, and the lakes side ones over look the lake.
- All the lodges are within 150 meters of the main carp lake
- The lake next to the lodges is carp lake. I caught well from this lake and the average size was around 5lb. The action was quick, catching a couple of carp an hour in May.
- The second lake is more of a match lake for pole anglers where big bags of small carp and F1s can be caught. It looks like a good lake for kids with a method feeder, the bites would keep coming!
Ludlow Lodges, Ashford Bowdler, Shropshire - Modern Lodges With Private Pegs
Ludlow Lodges are some of the most modern-looking lodges you will see. These have a very contemporary look and all on-site has a private peg of carp fishing lakes making them a great place to stay in Shropshire.
The lodges have private gardens and a nice outside areas as well as fishing pegs. You can BBQ in front of your lodge, just don’t burn your sausages when you get a bite!
- 2 bedroom lodges with glazed living room overlooking the lake.
- A 20-acre site with 4 fishing lakes, you can fish in front of your lodge or try your luck on another lake if you want a change.
- Locable storage area outside for your fishing equipment – great to keep your nets and bait out of the lodge!
- Carp anglers look for the 2 lodges over Willows pool where the biggest carp are up to 25lb and catfish to 30lb.
- There are 2 match pools with bags of up to 100lb being caught in the warmer months.
- The lakes look well-kept and well-stocked, there is clearly an investment in the facilities at Ludlow Lodges.
Shropshire Glamping Sites With Fishing Lakes
There are some great glamping sites in Shropshire and some have fishing lakes. These are often unique accommodation types from pods to shepherd huts. Again I have stayed at a couple of these and highly recommend a trip.
Colehurst Lake, Market Drayton, Shropshire - Glamping and Fishing
Colehurst Lake is very conveniently located just 5 minutes from where the A53 crosses the A41 in North Shropshire. This is one of my regular places to fish and has a great mix of accommodations and some very nice carp! Some of the accommodation has private fishing pegs on either the main lake or the smaller pool. You can read my full guide here.
- A range of unique glamping pods to stay in.
- Selected pods have private pegs on the lake.
- New couples-only Shepherds Hut has a wood-fired hot tub, a separate summer house overlooking the lake and a private decked peg. (This is peg 17 and a great spot on the main lake – fish the margin to your right!)
Other Fishing Lakes in Shropshire
Shropshire has a lot of lakes to choose from. While visiting here are some others to check out. If you have the right equipment you can also fish the river Severn around Brignorht and Shropshire. some sections are on day tickets – Shrewsbury town centre being one of them.
Here are some other lakes you could try out –
- The Ercall Pool – Telford
- Ryley’s Pool – Shifnal
- Weston Pools – Oswestry
- Lake Farm Fisheries – Leebotwood
- New Pool – High Ercall
- Albrighton Fishery – Albrighton
- Brineton Pool – Brineton
- Onny Vale Fishery – Lydbury North
- Drayton Reservoir – Market Drayton
- The Hampton Loade – Bridgnorth
- Woodland Farm Fisheries – Rednal
- Cleeton Lake – Cleeton St Mary
- Mill Dam Fishery – Bridgnorth
Specimen Carp Fisheries In Shropshire
These all require pre-booking and fishing for a minimum of 24 hours, there is no accommodation but they are well worth a session if you are in the area.
- Merrington carp fishery
- RH Fisheries Monument 1 & 2
- Near Gatten carp fisheires